English - Grade 9
- Literature Grade 9, pub. Holt-McDougal
An in-class only text, online login, and supplemental novels will be provided for the student during the school year.
Course Description : The purposes of the ninth grade course are as follows:
- To enhance student understanding of the academic vocabulary for literature, writing, speaking, and language.
- To provide students with a basis for evaluating and analyzing complex texts through genre study.
- To provide students with opportunities to develop their own voices through writing and presentations.
This year’s core texts include:
- George Orwell's - Animal Farm
- Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet
- Homer’s “The Odyssey”
Students will continue to read and analyze a variety of other texts, including short stories, poetry, news articles and student essays .